Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Snow Daze Continued

Monday - Day 4

I woke up this morning thinking, will this be the day? Will this be the day we get outta here? We're still nowhere near the point of starvation but starting to run low on a few things. Like orange juice. And green vegetables. We're down to our last few leaves of lettuce, three carrots and some celery. If this goes any longer we could get scurvy and then a big wind could come along and blow us away (right, Ma?) I salvaged what I could out of the last few strawberries for breakfast. I rationed the blueberries. I went downstairs to the freezer to see what I could scrape up for dinner. I found some chicken leg quarters and knew I could make some kind of edible dish with them. I scouted the freezer to see what our next meal could be (if necessary) and we're down to the Bubba Burgers Robert bought when I was out of town. I decided right then and there today HAS to be the day. I had this heavy feeling ever since I found out that Gary doesn't really have a snowplow - he drags some kind of scraper behind the tractor. We're in the south. Down here they just don't have snowplows laying around because they never need them except maybe once every ten years or so. The snow was really deep at the bottom of Kalmia Lane where Gary made an attempt to come up with the tractor. I came up with a plan. This afternoon we were going to trudge back down to the roundabout with our snow shovel and I was going to dig us out. Not Robert - he could have a heart attack then what would we do?
After lunch we bundled up and headed outside with our snow shovel.




The garden ornaments were finally visible.

Then I heard a voice. A human voice! It was George Morris trying to get up our driveway on his Mule! I looked down the driveway and Berry Lane and Kalmia had been plowed! We were saved! Robert jumped on the Mule with George (somehow I think they had this planned in advance) and off they went to scout out what was going on in the outside world.



















I continued on my walk alone.















These winterberry at the gazebo were full of red berries last time I saw them. Now they were almost bare. The shrubs were surrounded by turkey footprints. At least the turkeys were eating.




I sat in the gazebo for awhile enjoying the sunshine and new-found freedom.


























On my way back I ran into Robert & George heading for home.







A Mule and Two Asses.



They had been out on the main road (Mt. Hebron/Crooked Creek) and it had just been cleared and was drivable to Old Fort. They traded the Mule for Robert's car and headed to Old Fort to mail the Christmas packages that never got mailed last Friday.


No comments: