Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Last Sunset

Erin went home on Sunday. She wasn't scheduled to leave until Tuesday but she missed her little PeeWee and wanted to get home with a few days to spare in case any flights were delayed or cancelled. I took her to the airport then Robert and I went to another potluck at Creston. This time there were actually people there. After taking Erin to the airport I wasn't really feeling up to socializing but I had already made the potato salad so I guess I was committed. We hit fog -actually, I think we were in a cloud - on Crooked Creek Road, which is the road leading to Creston from Highway 9. We couldn't see a thing. It was so foggy we almost missed the entrance to Creston. We crept up the mountain following the side of the road. Robert told me to close my eyes but I couldn't because I wanted to see when we were plunging over the side of a cliff. He told me he was used to driving in the fog from driving in England and I said, "But that was 80 years ago!" It didn't make me feel any better. We finally made it to the top to the community center. What a relief! We had a good time - there was a lot of good food - and I was making sure Robert only had one glass of wine in case we had to find our way through the fog going home. When we left the fog had cleared and the sky was clear and full of stars. It was beautiful.
New Year's Eve we stayed home and ate. We had smoked salmon, grilled lobster tails and steak. Of course, we had a very nice bottle of Champagne and watched the ball drop in Times Square (poor Dick Clark!) and talked on the phone to all the friends who are mad at us for not having our usual New Year's Eve gathering. What can we say? It was different. This was the first time it was just the two of us. At least Robert didn't make me listen to Al Jolson.
Oh - first we watched the last sunset of 2007 from our deck. These are the pix.

No comments: