Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Mountain Walking

Yesterday I decided I had better start exercising again. I hadn't done anything - other than unpacking and hoisting boxes around - since we moved. It's too nice outside to use the treadmill so I decided to start practicing walking up and down mountains. Robert decided to come with me. I thought I should start out slow and get my muscles used to walking up and down hill without being sore. We walked up the road to the top of the mountain - not far - and down again. Then we went a ways down and realized that however far down we go we have to climb that far up so came back. It wasn't too bad. I figure if I start out slow this week and start increasing my distance I should be able to work my way to the end of the road - 1/2 mile - to do 1 mile round trip. I know it's not that far but it's all uphill coming back. That is my goal, for now.
We went into Black Mountain and opened a local bank account. They're so nice down here we even got a free gift. A red duffle bag. You can always use another duffle bag. First, we had lunch at the Veranda Cafe and it was packed. We may not be making too many runs to town in the summer once we're in our new house. Too many tourists.
This morning I went for my walk again. Robert was feeling under the weather so didn't come with me. I did it with no problem and was not sore from yesterday. Good sign. I had a hair appointment at 11:00 so went into downtown Asheville. It was kind of scary having someone new cut my hair. Catherine has been cutting it for almost 20 years. I didn't want to just find someone in the phone book because you never know. I knew to stay clear of anyplace called the Hair Emporium. I saw this salon when we were downtown last week and stopped in to get a card. It looks like it could be in Royal Oak so I felt safe from big hair. Someone named Jenn cut my hair and it turned out fine. I made an appointment for Robert with her on Thursday. I have a pedicure appointment around the corner at the same time so we can share a ride.
We were supposed to go out to dinner and a movie tonight but Robert still isn't feeling up to it. I guess we can do it another night. There is a small theater downtown showing Le Vie En Rose so we were going to see that then check out one of the many restaurants for dinner.

No comments: