Sunday, July 27, 2008

Asheville Cats Disappearing Act

On the way up to Michigan we stayed at our usual LaQuinta Inn in Perrysburg, Ohio. The cats have gotten into a little routine at the hotel. When we first get there they have to smell the place over. They have a little dry food & water then they finally use the litter box. Once they seem to have settled down a bit I give them their puppy food (canned food.) They pretend to relax when we go to bed then they fight the rest of the night. Needless to say, I don't get much sleep. Robert seems to be able to sleep right through it. I guess hearing loss has its advantages. They finally settle down again around 5:00 AM. The comforter always slides off the bed on to the floor and Charlie likes to hide under it. I think I mentioned before that the beds are on a wood pedestal so they can't hide under the bed. Charlie smashes himself as far under the bed as he can under the comforter so he thinks he's safe. When I woke up that morning I saw Harvey dive under the comforter, too. As we were getting ready to leave I told Robert to leave them alone and pretend we don't know where they are so we can take them by surprise. We always have to stay one step ahead of those rascals. We loaded the car and when it came time to put the cats in the carrier we were each holding an end of the comforter and I said, "On the count of 3 get ready to grab a cat." We pulled the comforter away and they were gone! It was like a disappearing act! We looked at each other and knew there was no other place they could have gone. I felt under the overhanging edge of the box spring and the bottom was torn out. They were inside the bed! For a second I thought we were going to have to call maintenance but we pulled the (king-size) mattress off and Robert tipped the box spring up in the air and was shaking cats out.
They can't out-smart us! We locked them up and left the room looking like it had been ransacked.

No comments: