Thursday, May 8, 2008

Good ol' Rocky Top

Old Fort is the next town east of Black Mountain along I-40. Our new house will have a Black Mountain address but is actually a bit closer to Old Fort and is in the same county. Old Fort is kind of a quiet old mountain town, not as quaint as Black Mountain and not as much going on. Would you like to know why? BECAUSE OLD FORT IS DRY!!! That's why. One thing Old Fort has is the Old Fort Mountain Music every Friday night. It's free and it's kind of like open mic night for mountain musicians. Each group gets a half hour to perform. While they're performing local women get up and clog. On the slow numbers, local men ask the cloggers to dance. Now, clogging is kind of a misnomer because I was expecting them to be wearing big wooden clogs like Dutch girls but they have big cleats on the bottom of their shoes. It's kind of a cross between tap-dancing and Irish folk dancing except the upper body and arms aren't held so stiff and it looks like you could just make up the foot work. I've always wanted to be able to tap dance and since I'm 50% Hillbilly, this is perfect! I've found my calling! Anyway, we went there with George & Teresa who have a place at Creston. It was a blast! The first group was all men. I don't think any of them were under 70. They had a guitar, banjo, mandolin, steel guitar and a fiddle player. They brought down the house. You can buy coffee and soft drinks for 25 cents but NO booze. The best part is they had a cake raffle for $1 a ticket and I WON! It was a white wine black walnut cake and it was delicious. I'm sure we'll be going back again. I took some video with my camera but couldn't get it to upload onto my blog. Sorry. I'll consult with my blog expert (Erin) and see if I can get post it in the future.

No comments: