Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Weekend at Billy's

We went to Louisville for the weekend to visit Bill & Kent. This is the annual weekend where we meet Bobbie there to celebrate our birthdays only this time we took her with us. We couldn't arrive before 6PM and had all day so we took the scenic route. Instead of taking Highway 40 to Knoxville to I-75 we took side roads north of Asheville and went through Hot Springs. There actually are mineral springs there and it was a popular spot for the rich and famous to heal back in the day. Well, I think Hot Springs has seen its day. It was a one-street town. BUT the main street is part of the Appalachian Trail so now we can say we walked it. We had lunch at a quaint dive called the Paddler's Pub. It was warm and sunny so we sat outside. Luckily, we didn't see the inside before we ate the food because when I went in to use the restroom the interior was pretty bad and I've seen some seedy places in my life. I would describe it as "ready-to-be-condemned." I couldn't bring myself to look in to the kitchen when I passed it. But the locals and the bikers seemed to like it. Everyone in town seemed to know each other and after watching the traffic go by while we ate we agreed that if you live there you have to drive a pickup truck with a dog in the back and have a beard (male or female.) After lunch we did a little shopping in the local trading post while Robert took his siesta and then headed on. We stopped and took in the view at a scenic turnout in Tennessee before getting on to I-75.



1 comment:

Erin said...

Have they finally invented clear wine? Surely that's not WATER Miss Bobbie's a-drinkin'.