Monday, June 25, 2007

So Far, So Good

We left Royal Oak at 8:00 AM Thursday, June 14, and after a short 12 1/2 hour ride arrived safely in Asheville. The ride was uneventful except for the last leg of the trip when several bales of hay spilled off a trailer on to I-40 (the most treacherous part of the trip) and everyone slammed on their brakes and swerved to avoid the hay. I had a semi on one side of me and had to follow the cars in front of me as they went off the road onto the (non) shoulder to avoid the hay. I managed to not rollover and we went on our way. We made frequent stops for naps (Robert) and we couldn't shut off the Honda because we had to keep the air conditioning on for the 2 cats and 80 bottles of wine. Hopefully, we'll never have to make that trip with 2 cars again.
We slept in our vacant rental house the first night on a blow-up mattress. The cats kept us up all night howling. I finally got Harvey to sleep about 5:30 AM and Charlie stopped crying. When I got up at 7:30 to take them to the kennel I couldn't find Charlie. It was as if he vanished in thin air. I asked Harvey to show me where his brother was and he finally jumped up on the kitchen counter next to the refrigerator and looked behind it. There was Charlie. We don't know if he was stuck or just hiding so we pulled the 'frig out to get him. He didn't want to go to the kennel again.

No comments: