Monday, April 19, 2010

The Road to Islamorada

Last month we took a trip to the Keys to get away from the stress of our winter in the mountains. We rented a beach house in Islamorada with Nancy & Don (aka Da Yoopers.) We decided to make a road trip out of it and drive. (It had nothing to do with the fact we could bring as much wine with us that a Honda Pilot could hold.)
When we left home early in the morning it was in the low 30s. COLD! Once we got into Florida we stopped at a rest area and stripped down and put on summer clothes. How good it was to feel the air on my toes! I wanted to stop in St. Augustine and get out and walk around. Robert wouldn't stop because it was too crowded. We drove down the coast and found a public beach and he let me out so I could run like a dog.

It was great to be on the beach again!




The only way out of the parking area was to drive on the beach for awhile to the exit. I had never driven on the beach. I don't think it's the best thing for the environment.

We decided to go the budget route on the way down and booked a cheap hotel off the interstate in Vero Beach. At least it was clean. We did look out the window in the morning to see if our car was still there.






We put the "Ho" in HoJos.




The pool looked inviting but we didn't have time for a swim.







We found a place on the beach for dinner. My first oysters of the trip!
















The next day we took our time driving down to the Keys since we couldn't get into the rental house until 4:00. I found where I want to live next. Palm Beach!

No comments: