Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bearly Made It

I was out walking Tuesday morning about 8:30 minding my own business and was walking back up the hill and looked up and saw the biggest bear I've ever seen since we lived here. He was in the front yard of the house across the road and just below ours. He was probably about 100 feet away from me. Luckily, I was at the foot of the driveway of the house 2 down from us and there was a car in front. I walked very quickly up the front walk which seemed like it was a mile and got my cell phone out and was trying to call Robert while keeping an eye on the bear which was walking towards me. At the same time, I was trying to size up the situation in case nobody answered the door. Luckily, the homeowner, Elizabeth, answered right away. I said, "There's a huge bear out there!" and she said, "Cool, I'll get my camera." (First she let me in.) The bear was still walking towards us and by the time she got her camera he was at her house on the road. In the meantime, I called Robert and told him to come and get me because there was a bear and he said, "Are you sure?" Now, I don't know about anyone else but when I'm making a bear emergency call I don't want to have to spend time convincing my rescuer that I'm sure it was a bear and not a squirrel. I managed to convince him that yes dear, it indeed was a bear and told him whose house I was in. A minute later he went speeding by to the NEXT house and we heard him honk the horn. I went out to the road to try to catch him and he came back to pick me up. When I asked why he went to the wrong house he said the bear was still in the road and he was trying to scare it into the woods. He was trying to save everybody. Oh - and yes, he went to the wrong house. I'll try to get a copy of the picture of the bear. So, what did I learn from this? 1.) Exercise can be dangerous. From now on I'll sit in front of the TV watching Regis & Kelly Lee instead of walking. 2.) If I do decide to walk again and run into a bear I'll know who NOT to call especially if there is no house to take refuge in. I'm better off throwing my cell phone at the bear because by the time Robert drives up and down the road trying to remember which house Elizabeth and Robert live in I could be mauled to death.

1 comment:

Han Shot First! said...

Sorry about your cat. Losing a pet sucks.
Sam