Monday, March 3, 2008

Hello, Hooray!



It was a typical Friday night at the Hendrys. We were out at our house then stopped at our favorite store, Fresh Market, to pick up something for dinner. We decided to grill some grouper. As we were sitting down for dinner Robert decided to put some music on. He was playing around with the CD player (we have a CD changer that holds hundreds of CDs and like everything else electronic we have is very confusing.) Finally, one started playing and he said, "That's the one I've been looking for." He thought he found the CD of old-time mountain music I gave him for Christmas. I immediately recognized it as Alice Cooper and didn't think the old-time mountain musicians played "Eighteen." When I pointed that out to him he just shrugged and left it on anyway. So, we had our nice grouper dinner and bottle of red wine listening to classics like "Under My Wheels," "Be My Lover," "School's Out," "Elected" etc. Now, for me, it wasn't so bad because I'm an old Alice Cooper fan from way back. That was the first big concert I went to when I was 16. Doug Updike and I drove all the way to Ann Arbor in his mother's woody to see him. We were cool. But not as cool as everyone else. Most of the audience was dressed up like Alice Cooper with the black eyes, glittery eye make-up and snake skin boots. When I told my mother I was going to see Alice Cooper she probably thought I was going to see a female folk singer. Alice Cooper was also known for his theatrics and every concert had a theme. I think we saw the Billion Dollar Babies show. I remember he did his usual trick - was beheaded in a giant guillotine. Cool. It was December so for an encore they beat up Santa Clause. It doesn't get any better than that. Now I know how Robert feels when he listens to Al Jolson. He probably has similar memories of his concerts.

No comments: